Sunday, September 28, 2008

Humidity, fall, Gap...


What to write about this time???

I had thought of something to write…but now I’ve forgotten…grr…

Well, I’m going to talk about the weather here in Japan. So as I’ve said before (and have told many of you over and over) it’s hot and soooooooooooo humid over here. Like, we hit 94% (maybe even 98% humidity). And even if it’s technically around 78degrees, it feels really hot just because of the humidity. Gah, I miss the dry heat from Mexico…). Oh right, and because of this high humidity, I can’t keep my hair straight…oh yay… ><” So no I haven’t stopped straightening it but it definitely is not very straight for very long. It just tends to kink up after some time outside. Especially with walking or riding my bike to and from work, I get hot and poof! It’s kinda curly. So…I’m letting it grow at the moment only because it’s easier to tame it this way. Can’t wait for fall to come in. It’ll be cooler and I imagine less humid. But then that makes me a little worried about the winter here. I hear it gets really cold. And yea…winter clothes are back at home! Also, winter in LA is not that cold (had a Massachusetts friend laugh at me when I mentioned what I thought “cold” is). And I have heard that it sparsely snows, but snows nonetheless! So…yea…I’m looking forward to it but a little worried about the cold… But I guess in a way it’s just a better excuse to go shopping. ;P I’ve only run into a problem of fitting into pants…but I’m assuming I can fit into their shirts and whatnot…

Oh yea, the sizes here vary very much. Um…I’m not sure if it’s safe to say but I think that in shirts, they run one size smaller. So their small is actually small to them and they’re not swimming in a US small sized shirt. So…If I’m right, I’ll fit into an XL. Oh! And I haven’t really seen any other sizes higher than XL…except maybe in Gap.
Gap! Right. So I checked out the Gap store (since I know I’ll like the style) and was hoping I’d find a pair of pants that fit. Well…I forgot one thing…these items are imported…and what does that mean??? High prices!!! I already thought Gap jeans were pretty expensive at $60 but here in Japan, they’re roughly $128!!! o_O; However, in the clearance rack, I found a really cute skirt and after being reduced in price, it really only seemed like a regular Gap price. Hahaha. So…deal and no deal all together.

Hmm…what else…
Well, I think I’m over the culture shock. Odd thing is that when I’m with a big group of JETs or at least a big group of English speakers, I forget that I’m in Japan ‘til something very Japanese passes by…like a shrine in the middle of the city. :P

But…I still get homesick here and there. Luckily it’s not as bad as it was my second week here. And as Mr. Alpert (high school teacher I still keep in contact with) said, it’s always going to be there. And should it actually go away, I should worry. Hahaha. ^^

Um…I’ll see what to write about later…

I’ll take requests! What do you want to know about Japan/Fukuoka???

No comments: