Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Current Obsessions

So, I get obsessed with various things at various times. Sometimes it’s a certain food, a certain song, a certain anime. Usually, you can tell what I’m obsessed about when you’re around me, but for my buddies back at home that haven’t seen or heard from me in a while (sorry! Internet crashed, AGAIN, so I haven’t been able to log into skype… ><;) I’ll let you know what/who I’m obsessed with for the time being.

Music:
I am still greatly in love with Asian Kung-Fu Generation! Something about their music is just like dead on. I can never get enough of them. :]
But there have been some new tunes I’ve been listening to. First of all, I’ve recently became a big fan of Arashi. It’s one of Japan’s most famous boy bands and much to my surprise, I really like them. I’ve been the kind to get into boy bands. But something about Arashi I like. And so I even bought their 10th anniversary album with all their best tunes from the past decade. I’m just glad that the songs I’ve been listening to on youtube were also in the CD! Well, mainly CD 2, but yay!
Another friend started to get me into m-flo. It’s like, Japanese rap. Very upbeat and cool.
And there is also UVERworld. I’ve only listened to one of their albums so far but the genre ranges a bit. I really love their fast songs and have even learned one with a rap section in the middle. But man, that rap section was hard to do… It used to be too fast for me. Too fast to even hear what he was saying! But now, almost a year of living in Japan and listening to the song (not that religiously), I can actually hear what he’s saying and in my mind, it seems the song has slowed down. Haha. :P
One other song I’ve been listening to a lot lately is sung by the group B’z. I got into this group because they play the opening song for the drama Buzzer Beat.

TV Dramas:
Yes, I am watching Japanese dramas now. I dunno…they kinda remind me of Mexican novellas because they’re short and there’s always something crazy going on! Unlike the English ones on daytime TV that are always made fun about having poor acting and slow/boring storylines. They just seem like such a snoooooooore. But an upside to watching Japanese dramas is that I get to work even more on my listening. I usually have my dictionary next to me to look up words I don’t know. And then learn them! haha…I think that made me sound like a nerd…or a dork…hmm…
I’ve also started watching other TV programs that aren’t dramas. Two of which are quiz shows! Nep League and Q-Sama. (Weird names, I know). But they’re fun to watch and it’s more like studying than watching TV really. They get quizzed on kanji (both writing and reading) and sometimes they have to translate English words (which then becomes something like vocabulary studying for me).
Interestingly enough, the band Arashi also has their own TV show! It’s actually pretty funny! Some of them seem really different from their singing appearance. 2 of them are pretty silly. Hehe.

Manga:
There’s gotta be some manga that I’m reading, right?
Haha.
So I have the same 4 that I’ve been into for the past 5 years. Hehe. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, xXxHolic (which I’ve been reading the past year really), Naruto and Bleach. But along with these I’ve started reading Vagabond, upon the recommendation of a buddy of mine. Vagabond is definitely not like the other mangas I read but it is quite interesting. I guess it’s more out of the kid realm and more into the adult side of manga. So at first I was like, “oh crap, this is crazy” but then the story began to get really interesting and now I’m hooked. But I haven’t read it in a while since my internet at home crashed again…grr…

Hmm…I think that’s it at the moment…

No comments: