Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Neh, What's up Doc?

So...as I've found out yesterday and really saw it in action today, eating raw carrots is a very rare thing...

So yesterday, I was munching on some delicious carrot sticks I had prepared for my rather small lunch. All, if not most, of the teachers eat right at their desks. So I was there eating and reading when my principal passed by. He sort of turned and kept going but then he stopped and came back. So I turn to him and he asks (in Japanese of course)
"You eat carrots raw?"
"Yea..."
"hahaha. You're like a rabbit."
"hehe."

Afterwards, I asked one of the JTE's I work with about eating raw carrots in Japan. She said that children usually don't eat carrots raw due to the smell.

Smell.

I never thought of carrots having a strong smell, let alone a strong un-appetizing smell... My JTE continued on to say that children prefer tomatoes.

...tomatoes...

Now, I don't know if it has to do with my personal dislike with tomatoes but I really think that tomatoes have a strong smell (in the un-appetizing way) than carrots...

So, after this, I had some classes to teach. Well, I had a warm-up question: What is your favorite food? And during class, we decided to write out an example response to the question. As I was thinking about which food to write (since I don't really have favorites), the JTE I was working with suggested I write about raw carrots.
So I did. I wrote: My favorite food is raw carrot. It is crunchy and delicious. I eat it every week. Sometimes I eat it after work. I think I will have some for dinner.
And then both the JTE I worked with during this period and the JTE I worked with during the next period explained to the class about how the principal saw me eating raw carrots and called me a rabbit.

Then today, I had some students dropping in here and there during lunch to turn in their essays and they all saw that I really was eating raw carrots, They were surprised to see that I really was eating them raw. I laughed about it and wondered if they thought I was just saying that I eat raw carrots...I hope they don't think I lie to them...

I wonder what other things about me they'll find really interesting/odd...

I already know they don't really like peanut butter/like mixing it with other things like celery, banana or jelly. But then again, I know a Netherlands exchange student one summer really had to mentally prepare himself to try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Is America the only country that likes and eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches???

1 comment:

Julia said...

Yeah, I think we are one of the only countries that like peanut butter. Seems like it's a pretty weird/gross thing to most others. :)