Thursday, October 2, 2008

OI!!!

So today I taught 3 classes. One of them, the last one, happened to be a particularly loud and rowdy class. I don't mind them talking amonst themselves as long as they do the work. Usually they're asking each other what certain words are in English or if they can borrow their friend's dictionary.

Anyway, they started getting really loud and then 2 students were talking to teach other at pretty much opposite ends of the room. Because everyone else was also talking, they started to yell at each other to keep talking. Well, I started to feel overwhelmed by the level of noise. I was already at the back of the class because I was walking around. And so I yelled out, "OI!" and they all got surprised about it. So much so that they all sat down and quieted down.
I was rather surprised myself. I thought I was going to have to yell that a couple times to get their attention. haha. I was so amazed by it that I wanted to laugh.
One student even said that it surprised her/spooked her (either just out loud or to her friend...don't really know).

Anyway, after this, they weren't as loud again. And when I asked for their attention later, they immediately got quiet and paid attention.

Crazy!!!

I thought I'd be having a harder time keeping order...

No comments: