Monday, February 23, 2009

The gifts just keep rolling in...

So about a week ago, I went to an enkai with the first-year teachers and the PTA (not sure if it was all of them or just some of the members...). At the enkai, I found out it was one of the teacher's birthday. Since they're all so nice to me, I told him I'd make him a cake! And since he really liked the carrot cake, I told him I'd make him that one again. But that I'd take it to work on Wednesday.

After the enkai, I went to an after party with some of the teachers. Not having anymore JTE's around me, I tried my best at Japanese (with my dictionary at hand, of course). But...sadly forgot my dictionary at the place! ><"
But, the teacher in charge of the first years was nice enough to call and luckily found my dictionary.

Oh, Konishi-sensei (the one I made the cake for) took one of the cakes home to eat with his family. The other one was shared with the other teachers. The next day, there was a bag with the cake pans in it but with other stuff too! I got nori, chocolate cookie things and bread! I was so surprised. I mean, I made a birthday cake, I absolutely didn't expect anything back! And just yesterday, I got more bread from him! It's so crazy!!!

And then one of my students, Ayana, gave my JTE and some chocolate (dark chocolate too. yum) and then another day gave the same JTE, Andachi-sensei, a heart-shaped bread thing. It was hilarious how she did it though. Andachi-sensei was talking to the other girls about preparing for the eiken test and Ayana just puts the bag in front of Andachi's face! hahaha. And then she said something like, "This is not an obligation. It looks pretty but it doesn't taste good." It did though, have a funny smell...Andachi-sensei gave me half and said, "I don't want to die alone." bahahahaha. I love how we joke around. :]

Oh! And Shingo-kun, one of my lunch buddies from 3-8, brought me omiyage from Kyoto. He went up to take his entrance exam for a college there and brought me some "Chocolate stick cake." It's basically a long piece of chocolate cake. Really yummy chocolate cake. ^^

Man...I wonder if White Day is going to be this crazy...
(White day is similar to Valentine's Day. Here in Japan, the women usually give out chocolates on Valentine's Day and the boy usually return the favor on White Day. White Day is March 13, one month after Valentine's Day.)

*Oh yea, my host mom's daughter, Aya, made me some cookies too. ^^

No comments: