Wednesday, February 11, 2009

General Update: I'm alive!

Yes, I have been MIA again. Gomen.

I believe the last thing I wrote about was about going home…ne?

Well, going home was awesome (the jetlag wasn’t) and it was great to be home, in my bed, eating home food, seeing buddies, getting hugs and being able to fully understand everything around me (both in signs and whatever people were saying).

I then came back all excited because my parents came back with me!!! That was fun…but a bit stressful since it was like we switched rolls this time and I was parent taking care of them. :P

But in any case, it was fun and I took them to Kyoto where despite the bitterly cold winds we had an awesome time. Dad really seemed to like checking out the architecture of the buildings and Mom really like just being there, I think. Haha.

The weekend after they left, I went up to Fukuyama, Hiroshima for an Oxy Ohana reunion! Laura and Phil were visiting Japan and so we all rendevouz-ed at Kelly’s place! She also had a special Hawai’i presentation that we helped her out with. ^^ And I took video of her hula dancing. Hehe. It was fun to finally try it out!

But yes, it was great to be with loving buddies again. It’s always a great time with them. Sadly, Steph will be going back home this summer but Kelly, Terence and I have re-contracted! More Oxy-Ohana trips shall be planned!

Then, I packed again, only a little earlier and for a longer duration. Why? Oh because I went all the way up to Hokkaido! Yes, let’s make me freeze. ;P

Awesome Grace found an awesome travel deal again! Woot woot! So Grace, Carl, Kevin, Patrick, Mike and me all left on Thursday to fly up to Hokkaido. Then we boarded a bus and went to Niseko (but did a small stop at a place called, “Mushroom Heaven.” I immediately e-mailed Elo about this). Once we got to Niseko, the owner of the lodge picked us up and took us to his awesome lodge (no really, it was great). That same night we (or so Pat, Mike and I) rented snowboarding gear. And then Carl, Kevin, Pat and I explored part of the town that night. And had many snowball fights along the way. Haha.

The next 2 days were filled with many attempts to snowboard. Well, at least for me. Kevin, Carl, Grace and Mike knew what they were doing and how to keep their balance. Pat and me took classes (but separately) and my hardest task was trying to stand. Eventually, I just kept getting up toe-side (backwards, in a sense) and then tried to turn so that I could see where I was going. But I’d usually fall. I had only one really bad fall where I knocked the wind out of me. It also blew off my beanie and goggles. But I was fine. My stamina got knocked down after that but I was alright. Falls were much more painful on the second day because there was no new snow. Though it was softer than ice…it was not as soft as powder. Towards the end of the day, I was able to keep my balance for longer and go down the hill for longer periods of time without falling. Either I got the hang of it or the idea of falling was quickly becoming a “non-option” for me that I managed to control my balance on the board…somehow…

After all this, we went on a bus ride again and stayed 1 day in Sapporo. I felt it was much colder here. But it could have also been because walking doesn’t get you as hot as snowboarding does. But we walked around the city, looked for ice sculptures for the upcoming Snow Festival (but only a few were up) and had crab tabehoudai (all-you-can-eat). It was my first time. So it was difficult…

After that crazy weekend, I went on a day trip with my buddies over to Nagasaki (sort of neighboring prefecture). There, we took pictures of lanterns (in celebration of Chinese New Year!). It was fun. It was crowded.

Now this week, I went with some friends to Costco to get food for an up-coming party! Lupita and I are throwing a Mexican Fiesta! (There are people here who have never had Mexican food. We aim to expose them to the deliciousness of Mexican cuisine) That party is on Saturday. Yes, Valentine’s Day. Haha! I won’t be alone on that day. ;)

But yes, I have been really busy and I will continue to be really busy. Tonight, I will be baking Valentine’s goodies for my co-workers and then tomorrow night (Friday night), Lupita (and possibly others) are coming over to help me bake for the Mexican Fiesta. I’m making empanadas!! And maybe other yummies since it is on Valentine’s Day. :P

Hokay…off I go…

But yes, I’m alive.

No comments: