Monday, February 23, 2009

Valentine's Day & Mexican Fiesta

So about 2 weekends ago, it was Valentine's Day. Being the baker that I am (which makes me consider opening a bakery...) I baked goodies for work.

I decided to make the carrot cake first for 2 reasons: 1-it takes an hour to bake. I can do the cookie preping while it bakes; and 2-I wanted to take one to my buddies at the Kawashoku.

As I'm prepping the ingrediants for the carrot cake, my friend Yamato e-mails me (on the keitai) and asked me to help her bake some cookies. This was her first time and I possibly have the second oven in all of the Jutkau... So she comes over and as I'm mixing my cake batter she's mixing her oatmeal cookie batter and then I get invited by some buddies to eat out for dinner. I decided to go since I wasn't sure I'd eat anything while I bake. And it worked out better since Yamato first had to bake her cookies (Well, I decided to let her do hers first since cookies only take about 10 - 15 minutes intervals and constant opening and closing of the door is not good for cakes). So I felt a little guilty for leaving her but I was glad I was able to help her. :]

After I got back, I found the carrot cake was put into the oven and since it was getting late, decided to make brownies instead of cookies for work. I felt it also fit better since chocolate is usually given for Valentine's Day.

Oh...but I believe I took one of the carrot cakes to my friends before I made the brownies... But yea, I walked over and handed them a slightly hot cake (wrapped in a kitchen towel) and told them that it's best if they let it cool off first. Otherwise it'll taste of egg). And since I had 2 little star shaped cake pans, I decided to make those for Kocho and Kyoto sensei (Principal and Vice-Principal).

The next day, I brought it all to work and the carrot cake was devoured in maybe an hour (I believe it took a bit of a while since there were classes going on and so only during the breaks did the teachers get to sample the cake.

Anyhoo, they all seemed to like the cakes. And then I had some left over hard-candy that comes in the shape of a heart (Elo sent me a bunch) so I gave more to my students (I put it into their class boxes), 3 to my host-mom's grandkids, some to the students in class 3-8 (who, although I don't teach, befriended me and ate lunch with me) and one to a second year, Hitomi, that I'm pretty close with. She was really happy to receive the box of candy (because she apparently really likes candy). She then said that she'll make some candy over the weekend and that she was going to bring me some next week (yay!).

And yes, she made some really yummy chocolate cookies. MMmmMMmm

So Friday night, Lupita and me baked like crazy. Pretty much, we had a jolly good time (and had so much to bake) and I didn't notice it was already midnight!!! We baked carrot cake (because it's been so popular), brownies with walnuts, empanadas (sadly, they kept exploding) and heart-shaped sugar cookies! Of course, it didn't go all that smoothly. It was a little emabarrasing to have gone to the Kawashoku about 3 times that night...out of miscommunication and forgetfulness. hahaha *><*

Saturday morning, I packed up whatever of my stuff Lupita couldn't take into 2 bags. I must have looked ridiculous with my teal carry on bag too (I stayed the night at Lupita's).

Once I got to Lupita's, the stress of party planning started. Somehow, her range (stove top) was not working. And being that hers is totally different to mine...I had to be a monkey and just sort of poke around/push things...yea... But, we eventually figured out what was wrong and immediately started cooking. I was hand-shreading chicken for what seemed like 2 and half hours (would have continued but I got fed up with looking at the chicken and then ran out of space to the chicken...)Lupita was working on papas fritas for about the same time as I took with the chicken and she too was getting fed up with looking at one thing... Long cooking story short: We prepped and cooked from ~11am - 6:30pm.

At 6:30, I quickly did my hair and make-up and then took off to pick up some friends at the station. Once we got back (after some trouble on helping Mike get a cab to get to Lupita's), I quickly changed then the party started. I believe everyone had a good time and we stuffed everyone silly (which was our goal). Woo~
[I'll add pictures later]

On Sunday morning, Lupita invited Carl, Grace and Emmett over to eat some left overs. We ate and watched "The Departed" at the same time. It was one of those great lazy Sundays that's just spent well with great company and a movie. :]

That Sunday, I went back to the Kawashoku and receivced hand-made cookies from the girls. I was so moved. And they were sooooooo good!!! I guess they like me too. ^^

No comments: