Sunday, August 10, 2008

Japanese Food

So I've had many home-cooked meals made by my two host-moms (and oh boy was it yummy). And I've told them too that I want to learn so later they will teach me how to cook some Japanese food! hurray! ^^
On Saturday, my last full day with Shibata-san, she took me out to eat Okonomiyaki. It's called Japanese pancake and Japanese pizza in English...though I think Japanese Pancake is more accurate.
Anyhoo, I've only ever had it before at school when Watanabe-sensei would have the Okonomiyaki parties. (ah, memories). So it was interesting to go to a restuarant and eat it there. It was cool. There was a hot pan/table in the middle of the table. Similar to the set-up in Korean BBQ places but it's a flat and not like a grill. I heard later that that restaurant didn't do it the traditional way. So Shibata-san said she'd take me again. ehehe^^;
Then, for dinner, she took me out for sushi! (I take it she really liked having me over...). It was really good. And it was on one of things that go around and around. But only some of the desserts looked like they were out there for a while...not the sushi. But oh man...it was delicious.
oh! And last night, when I went out with my neighbors, we went out for Yakitori (literally, fried chicken). It was also very yummy. It's basically skewers. I had chicken and beef and other yummy things and yakionigiri! (it's like a littly fried/toasted rice ball).
But so far, the food here has been great. I can't wait 'til I get to try cooking them on my own! ^^
And later, after I'm settled and get a feel for my applicances, I'm going to bake goodies for the office. They have all been so nice and so helpful that I feel like making them something! ^^ And I hear they like food...so I hope they'll like my cookies and cakes and whatnot.

No comments: